Thursday, September 30, 2010

Jayden Post-surgery

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 at 11:26pm

You know, I thought that things were going great. Jayden was singing Christmas songs the day after surgery. (He is his mother's child! :) I sang the day after having my wisdom teeth removed). We adjusted the dose of the medicine as the surgeon said we could so that it was lasting from dose to dose. He was cuddly, but playing. Things were great. We made it through the "worst day" just fine. Then, that night he woke up a little before time for his 2:30 a.m. pain medication. He was crying. . . no, that's not the right word. . . it was more like sobbing almost hysterically. Like a child might after a horrible nightmare. He was crying so hard that we couldn't understand what he was saying (ever). We tried to calm him down and get him to drink a sip of pedialyte (or ANYTHING), but it was so hard to get his sleepy little brain to comprehend that if he would drink, it would make his throat moist again and help with the pain. In fact, we had trouble getting him to remember that his pain medicine (which, apparently, tastes bad) would make things better. We had to watch him sob and shake like he had a really high fever or extreme pain, while we frantically sent up silent prayers that were really more of a psychic emotional plea than coherent requests. It was AWFUL! Then at 6:15 a.m., it was pretty bad again. The rest of the day was pretty much fine. We thought that maybe the worst day was just a little delayed for us. Nope. I guess it's just going to be the nightly thing for now. I think his sipping all through the day helps prevent it during the day, and the fact that he is waking up in pain and scared makes the night worse. I still think we did the right thing--he can already breathe so much better! But I'll be so glad when this is OVER.

And what happened to all the sleeping the nurses said he would do? I thought I might get SOMETHING accomplished. All I've managed is to sneak in a lot of cuddle time with my boy before he outgrows it! (Don't get me wrong, that's wonderful, but I could really use a little time to get caught up on the million and one things I'm behind in!!!)

No comments: