Thursday, August 04, 2011

Zombies from God?

So Vaelyn's decided that God probably made zombies because some people missed their loved ones so much that they still wanted to have them around. I'm speechless--and that doesn't happen much. She told me this while I was eating. I did, thank goodness, manage not to choke! ;)


I posted that as my Facebook status, as I do so very many other things my children do/say. My sister commented on it, saying: "I don't think I want my loved ones around while dead, smelling of decaying flesh, and trying to eat everyone's brains."  That (and the fact that I don't think God really makes zombies) set me to thinking.  Here are my thoughts:

Many times we ask God for things, and many times we become frustrated with Him because we don't get what we ask for.  Well, there are at least two reasons for that.  

One:  We ask for things that are not right/good for us or are dangerous for us.  We are like children in the scheme of the whole world.  There are a lot of things out there that we just don't know or understand.  My children would love to have things like a rattlesnake or a pet wolf or. . .   It would not be wise (nor good parenting) for me to let them have these things.  Therefore, I must say no.  I know they are disappointed that I won't let them have what they want, but I simply cannot give them these things.  

Two (which is where the zombies come in):  We ask for things badly.  Do you remember the story "The Monkey's Paw"?  Well, the family gets three wishes.  The first thing they wish for is 200 pounds, which they receive, but soon wish they had not because the 200 pounds comes from their son's employer after he is killed on the job.  After some days, the mother is still desolate (I mean, who wouldn't be?)  She asks her husband to go get the monkey's paw and wish their son back to life.  The husband tells her that their son's death and the subsequent 200 pounds was just a coincidence, but she will hear none of that.  In an effort to convince the wife that it's of no use, he tells her that their son's body was mangled beyond all recognition; he was only able to identify the body by the clothes their son had been wearing.  The wife is relentless, however, and convinces her husband to make the wish.  They think it was all for nothing because they wait for a long time before they hear a knock at the door.  The wife then realizes that their son has had to walk the two miles from the cemetery, so he was unable to knock immediately after they made their second wish.  Now, the story is unclear in this detail because neither of the parents actually gets to see their son, but. . . we're going to go with the dad's fear here instead of the mother's hope.  The dad comes to believe that the son is alive but still has the same body, mangled beyond recognition.  You see?  He asked amiss.  He didn't say what he meant.  He assumed that the "spirit" (not the letter) of his wish would be understood.  He didn't ask for his son to be healed and return to life.  He didn't ask for a new body for his son.  He merely asked that his son be alive again.  He ended up regretting his wish so greatly that he used his third (and last) wish to wish his son back to death.  What a terrible, heartbreaking thing to have to wish!  You see, sometimes we ask for things that really aren't at all what we want.  God saves us from this poor family's plight by denying our request because He knows that what we asked for is not at all what we need or sometimes even want.  I mean, there are a lot of things that I thought I wanted in life that really weren't what I wanted or needed at all.  God knew that.  God knows that we don't want our loved ones walking around, stinking of decaying flesh and trying to eat our brains.  I'm so grateful that God says "no" sometimes.  :)

2 comments:

Laurie Crater Battles said...

Connie, you need to update your blog, you talented writer, you!!! I am waiting!!!

Unknown said...

Oh, Laurie! I JUST saw this!! I've been meaning to post something, but I've been so busy! :'(