Thursday, April 14, 2005

True Dancing Comes from the Heart


As I watch my 17-month-old son, I learn a lot about life.


For example, my son loves music. Now that probably comes to him from both his parents--especially me. What he apparently has learned on his own is how to respond to music.

Have you ever watched how different people respond differently? Or how sometimes everyone seems to do the same thing?

Well, my son doesn't go to daycare--in fact, he really doesn't get out around other people enough, but we're working on that. Anyway, he bobs his head to music and kind of claps his hands--things that he has not seen his parents do. I'm quite sure that he can't have seen this behavior anywhere, unless he's seen it on television or at church in the nursery.

This brings me to the conclusion that he is acting out of his heart, his own love for music, his own creativity. It makes me wonder if left alone or nurtured, what would the end result be? Or conversely, if his behavior is ridiculed or stifled, how would that change it? It also puts me in awe of the responsibility of bringing up a child. I want to nurture and encourage my child's personality and creativity, yet I won't be able to protect him from every person or comment that may kill just a little of his joy, his creativity. Of course, if I dwell on that and worry about those things which I cannot control, I will end up discouraged, so instead I choose to dwell on the beautiful image of my child showing his enjoyment of music with total innocence, not caring what anyone thinks of what he is doing. His true dancing comes from his heart and brings joy to him--a joy which his parents cannot help but share.

No comments: